4 large organic zucchini
1 pound organic lean ground beef (I buy the organic kind from Costco - see the pic below)
1 large red, orange or yellow bell pepper (I used the red because I love pops of color in my dishes!)
1/2 cup yellow onion (about half of a medium onion)
1/3 cup water
2 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning
1/4 cup fresh flat leaf (aka Italian) parsley
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, optional
1-2 green onions
1/2 - 3/4 tsp salt, plus more to taste
olive oil cooking spray
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Spray an oven-safe baking sheet/pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Wash the zucchini, then pat dry. Chop off the ends and slice each one in half (lengthwise). With a spoon, scrape out the middle of each, and reserve the "guts" for the next step.
3. Dice the onion, pepper, and zucchini guts. Place a dutch oven, or skillet, over medium-high heat. Brown the ground beef, onions, peppers and diced zucchini until the beef is no longer pink.
4. Drain the fat from the dish, then place the mixture back in the dutch oven. Add the water and taco seasoning, and stir until combined. Simmer for a few minutes until the seasoning is equally distributed.
5. Meanwhile, chop the parsley and green onions. Add the parsley to the dish, and mix well. Reserve the onions for the last step.
6. Spoon your prepared mixture into each zucchini boat, then bake for 30-40 mins.
7. Remove pan from oven, and turn the heat off. Sprinkle each boat with mozzarella cheese, then return to oven for 3-5 minutes so the cheese can melt. Top with green onions and serve.
Recipe adapted from a recipe found on Pinterest