1 (4 lb) whole organic chicken
2 medium yellow onions
4-5 large carrots
5-6 small red potatoes
1 lemon, cut in half
2-3 cups organic chicken broth
3-4 sprigs of fresh Rosemary (optional)
Choose from one of the two seasoning recipes below. Both have been tested, and approved, and they're both equally delicious!
Seasoning Recipe #1
2 Tbsp all purpose seasoning (I use the Organic No Salt Seasoning from Costco)
1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
1/2 Tbsp paprika
1 tsp kosher salt
Seasoning Recipe #2
4 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1. In a small bowl, mix together the seasoning recipe ingredients of your choice, and set aside.
2. Discard insides of chicken, or save for later use in another recipe. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. *I've heard mixed things about washing the chicken before use. Unless you're actually washing it with soap, it seems to just spread germs all over your kitchen sink, so I avoid this step altogether. What are you really washing off anyway??
3. With rubber gloves on so you don't stain your hands and fingers, rub seasoning mixture over the entire chicken (sprinkle a bit in the cavity as well) to evenly coat.
4. Place lemon halves on the inside of the chicken, the open side facing the walls of the cavity. Depending on the size of the chicken, you may have to quarter them to make them fit.
5. Wash potatoes and carrots. Chop onions into halves, and potatoes into fourths. Peel carrots and cut into 2" sections. Place about half of the chopped veggies in the bottom of your slow cooker. Pour the cup of chicken broth over the veggies. Make sure you have enough room to place the chicken on top and are still able to put the lid on without the chicken touching it. (Depending on the size of your crockpot, all the veggies may not fit. However, you should be able to fit a few around the sides of the chicken once the chicken is already in the crockpot. Be careful not to stack veggies higher than about 2" from the bottom of the crock pot, otherwise they will not cook!) Sprinkle just a pinch, or two, of salt over the veggies.
6. Place the whole chicken on top of the veggies, breast side down. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours; or on high for 4-5 hours.
7. Remove from your crockpot, and flip chicken over. Cover with a sheet of aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Recipe adapted from Family Fresh Meals