1 pound organic 93% lean ground beef
2-3 garlic cloves, diced
1/2 of a yellow onion, chopped
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
28 oz jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped (or 2 tsp dried basil)
4-5 medium zucchini, cut into 1/8" inch thick slices
15 oz container of organic low-fat cottage cheese
16 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1 large egg
salt & pepper, to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Place zucchini in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Season with salt and roast for 15-20 mins. *This step will remove some of the moisture from the zucchini so your lasagna won't be runny.* Meanwhile, prep your sauce. Once your timer goes off, remove the zucchini from the oven and pat dry with paper towels to remove any excess moisture.
2. Season the meat with salt. In a medium sauce pan or dutch oven, brown the meat. Once the meat is no longer pink, remove from pan and drain in a colander to remove the excess fat. Add olive oil to the pan and saute the garlic and onions for about 2 minutes. Return the meat to the pan with the onions & garlic; add the sauce, basil, and salt & pepper. Simmer on low for at least 30-40 mins, covered. (Do NOT add water - the sauce should be rather thick).
3. While sauce is doing it's thing, combine the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg in a medium bowl. Stir well.
4. Once your sauce is ready, assemble in a 9x13" baking dish as follows: sauce, then zucchini, then the cheese mixture. Spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of your dish. Then layer with zucchini strips (see photo above). Then top with a layer of the ricotta cheese mixture. Continue until all your ingredients have been used, finishing with sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top, then cover your dish tightly with foil.
5. Bake for 45 mins, covered. Then, remove the foil, and bake another 15 mins, uncovered. Remove from oven, and let stand about 5-10 mins before serving.
Enjoy with a side salad and some yummy bread!
Recipe adapted from a recipe found on SkinnyTaste.com