16 oz milk, dark or white chocolate chips
2 Tbsp shortening/Crisco
1 pound fresh strawberries, with leaves
toppings (optional): coconut flakes, mini chocolate chips, slivered almonds, chocolate sprinkles, nuts, etc
1. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Wash and pat-dry strawberries with a paper towel.
3. In a *double boiler, melt the chocolate and shortening, stirring occasionally until the chocolate is smooth.
4. Grab ahold of a strawberry by the leaves (being careful not to tear them off) - then dip into chocolate. I like to make sure a little red is peeking through at the top. It makes them look prettier! Sprinkle with
* If you don't own a double boiler - try this: Rest a large glass bowl inside a small or medium sized pot (making sure there are a few inches between the bottom of the dish and the water in the bottom of the pan. The bowl must be large enough to rest on the sides of the pot). Simmer an inch or two of water in the pot first. Melt the shortening first, then add the chocolate chips. The steam from underneath the pot will melt the chocolate. I hope this makes sense! ;-)
This may help better explain: http://www.ehow.com/way_5240731_can-substitute-double-boiler_.html
Or these pics may help you visualize what I'm trying to explain: