For the Cake:
1 (18oz) box Duncan Hines Chocolate Cake Mix
1 cup Coca Cola
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/4 cup water
3 large eggs
butter flavored cooking spray
For the Frosting:
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
6 Tbsp milk or heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pound (4 cups) powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9x13" pan (glass or metal) with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Combine cake mix, Coca Cola, oil, water and eggs in a large mixing bowl. With hand mixer, beat at low speed until blended, then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
3. Pour batter into your prepared pan. Tap several times on countertop to release air bubbles (or run a knife or toothpick back and forth in all directions).
4. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cake center comes out clean.
5. Meanwhile, prepare frosting. You can pour hot frosting over the cake right after you remove it from the oven, or you can frost the cake once it has cooled. (I actually prefer to wait until the cake is cooled before I frost it, but either way is delicious!)
For Chocolate Frosting:
1. In a medium saucepan, combine butter, cocoa powder, and milk. Heat just until the butter melts.
2. With a whisk, beat in 1 tsp vanilla extract and 4 cups powdered sugar.
3. Spread over the hot cake. Cool completely. Then cut into squares.
*Note: If frosting becomes too thick, you can always add more milk to give it a better spreading consistency.
Recipe borrowed from my mama's cookbook: "From My Kitchen, With Love"